Exchange 1 Details
- Location: Monticello City Park
Mileage Completed: 54.4 Miles
Mileage to Finish: 461.7 Miles
0.0 Leave Swanny Park in Moab, UT – Go East on 400 N.
0.1 Turn right on state road 191 (Main Street in Moab)
54.3 Turn left on 100 N. in Monticello
54.4 Arrive at Exchange 1 (Monticello City Park)
DO NOT underestimate this leg! The elevation map doesn’t look too menacing, but in reality it is a punishing 54 miles usually made worse by a head wind that nags at your motivation. This leg does have a lot of climbing, but it is also among the most scenic. It is a great way to start off a great race. Watch for the Hole-in-the-rock at mileage 15.9 and Wilson arch at mileage 25.8.
Exchange 2 Details
- Sponsor: Epic Cyclewear
- Location: Mule Canyon Lot
- Mileage Completed: 99.1 Miles
- Mileage to Finish: 417.0 Miles
- 0.0 Head south on 100 E. toward Central St.
- 0.1 Go right onto Central St.
- 0.2 Go left at the stop light onto Main St/US-191. Continue south on US-191.
- 20.8 Turn left at Main St/US-191 S in Blanding. Continue south to follow US-191.
- 24.8 Turn right at UT-95 N
- 44.7 Arrive to Mule Canyon parking (on right).
This leg will take you past the beautiful Abajo (Blue) mountains on the right. Passing thought the Comb Ridge at mile 37.5 is a majestic moment. Leg ends at the Mule Canyon trailhead where Anasazi ruins dating back to 1200 AD can be explored. GASOLINE WARNING!!! After the turn off at State Road 95, the next gasoline is in Hanksville, 121 miles away. Make sure to fill up in Monticello, Blanding, or the gas station at the corner of 191 and 95.
This leg is long but offers a nice gradual downhill leading to the Colorado River and beginning of Lake Powell. Pass the Natural Bridges National Monument at mileage 17.6 where the team vehicle may want to stop for a moment and view some of bridges at the National Monument. Also notice the Jacob’s Chair landmark around mileage 35 on top of the cliffs to the right. As you come to Lake Powell you will cross the Colorado River bridge then immediately after that the Dirty Devil Bridge. Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Lake Powell.
This leg is a significant climb that follows the Fremont River (upstream) most the way. At mileage 29.0 you will enter Capitol Reef National Park. This is park is one of the last great secrets in the USA. As the sun sets in front of you the light will illuminate the towering red cliffs. The historical town of Fruita at mileage 37.4 shows how early settlers of Utah lived. The green fruit trees of Fruita contrast beautifully against the red cliffs overhead.
From Torrey start climbing up UT-12 into the Boulder Mountains. Climb is steep up to a false summit at mileage 15 then after a short decent and 5 more miles of climbing you will hit the boulder pass. Take a moment to enjoy the view the east. The mountains seen in the distance are the Henry’s that you just passed earlier in the day. After summit you have a steep decent down to the quaint town of Boulder and to the exchange. Take caution and watch for cattle, deer, and elk on the road during the decent.
This section of State Road 12 is what makes it famous! It just cannot be put into words, but here we go with a meager attempt. As you descend from Boulder down to the Escalante river, you will thoroughly enjoy cycling down the famous ridge at mileage 6.3 with steep drop off’s on both sides of the road. You will feel as though you are cycling in the clouds. As you near the Escalante River you will pass the Calf Creek Gorge (home of Calf Creek Falls) on the right. Excellent views from a top the road down to the green bottom of the gorge are breathtaking. Shortly after climbing up from the river on the other side you come to a windy section of road that contours a rugged white slickrock. At mileage 26.1 you will pass through the town of Escalante and begin an ascent back into Dixie national forest. After reaching a mild summit, you wind down the narrow canyon and end in the town Henrieville, population 159.
Exchange 8 Details
- Sponsor: Bikers Edge
- Location: Panguitch City Hall
- Mileage Completed: 377.8 Miles
- Mileage to Finish: 138.3 Miles
- 0.0 Head west on Main St in Henrieville/UT-12 W
- 29.1 Turn right at US-89 N
- 36.0 Turn left going South at Main St in Panguitch/UT-143
- 36.1 Arrive to Panguitch exchange
Shortly after leaving Henrieville you will pass through the small towns of Cannonville and Tropic. In Cannonville at mileage 3.4 you can find a visitors center for the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. After Tropic enjoy the views to the west of Bryce Canyon National Park from below. At mileage 10.9 you will enter the Park. The road winds up the canyon with spectacular red hoodoos all around. Yes, the official name is a hoodoo. Reach the summit at mileage 14.4 and stay on top the plateau for about 9 miles, then begin the decent into Red Canyon. Again more hoodoos in every direction and pass though the 2 red rock tunnels at mileage 24.4 and 24.5. At the bottom of Red Canyon take a right in UT-89 and finish the leg into Panguitch.
This leg boasts the steepest and longest climb with over 3500 feet of climbing over the 29 miles. You will start climbing immediately out of Panguitch entering the Dixie National Forest as the high desert landscape turns to mountain. Enjoy a short flat area as you bike around the scenic Panguitch lake at mileage 15.7. Continue the climbing as you reach above the 10,000 foot mark.
Exchange 10 Details
- Sponsor: Saints to Sinners
- Location: Cedar City Main Park
- Mileage Completed: 435.0 Miles
- Mileage to Finish: 81.1Miles
- 0.0 Continue west on UT-143
- 2.1 Turn left at UT-148
- 9.7 Turn right at Cedar Canyon/UT-14
- 27.5 Turn right at 100 E. in Cedar City
- 27.7 Take the 1st left onto 200 Nr City
- 27.8 Arrive to Cedar City’s Main Street Park
After a short climb a long decent awaits you. At mileage 2.1 take a left to pass by Cedar Breaks National Monument on the right with incredible views of the red cliff formations. Take a right at UT-12 to begin the steep and beautiful descent to Cedar City and exchange location at the Main Street Park.
Exchange 11 Details
- Sponsor: Red Rock Bicycle
- Location: Sinclair Gas Station
- Mileage Completed: 476.5 Miles
- Mileage to Finish: 39.6 Miles
- 0.0 Head west on 200 N. (road becomes UT-56)
- 30.0 Turn left at Main St. in Newcastle (road becomes Bench Rd.)
- 38.9 Turn left at UT-18
- 41.5 Arrive to Enterprise exchange
Exchange 12 Details
- Sponsor: Rockwell Relay
- Location: St. George City Park
- Mileage Completed: 516.1 Miles
- Mileage to Finish: 0.0 Miles
- 0.0 Head south on UT-18
- 36.5 At stoplight at Snow Canyon Pkwy in St. George, cross the road kiddie-corner to enter bike path. Follow bike path on left side of Bluff St.
- 37.3 At Diagonal St. exit bike path and follow Diagonal St. southeast
- 38.0 Stay right into course finish line chute
- 38.2 Arrive at the Finish!!!
What better way to finish the Rockwell Relay than with a 3,000 foot plus decent into St. George. Pass through the cedar and juniper rich mountains south of Enterprise and then descend down through the ancient volcanoes near Veyo. The route follows the St. George Marathon route into downtown. Obey all traffic rules and stoplights in St. George. If desired the 3 team members can meet up with Cyclist #4 at the north end of Diagonal St. to finish the last mile of the course together. Follow Diagonal St and follow the signs flags to Bluff Street park. Victory! You have made it and deserve a good rest and time to relax. The Bluff Street Park is the ideal place to sit, lay down, or nap in the shade and get the rest you need. Congratulations!